A Selective Executive Summary of WHMIS Regulations
- Distributors of chemicals classified as 'controlled' are required to provide customers with a current MSDS prior to, or with, the product being shipped.
- For chemicals that are 'non-controlled' the MSDS is provided as a customer service.
- An MSDS for a controlled product must contain information for the following headings:
- Product Information (including supplier information)
- Hazardous Ingredients
- Physical Data
- Fire of Explosion Hazard
- Reactivity Data
- Toxicological Properties
- Preventive Measures
- First Aid Measures
- Preparation Information
- MSDS for 'controlled' products must be reviewed and re-issued when significant new information becomes available or after three years (whichever comes first).
For complete information regarding WHMIS and MSDS regulations:
- Go to http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hecs-sesc/whmis/ (open link in new window)
- Contact the Regulatory Affairs Coordinator via email or by calling our head office at 780-468-4064 or 1-800-661-2792.